International Health Services and Hospital Management MSc
Leading in management
LSBU is one of the leading centres for management training in the public and health sectors in the UK. This course has primarily been designed for international clientele: doctors, nurses and administrators holding senior management posts.
Our contribution towards more effective health management in countries with developing healthcare systems comes through teaching, research, consultancy and practical relationships with the health sector in Africa, the Middle East and South East Asia.
There is an emphasis is on planning and managing health services and the curriculum includes management theory and practice, delivery of public health and health protection, international human resource and management, health planning, health economics and research methods.
The programme also includes a management observation placement designed to give international health service managers the opportunity to examine, at a local level, strategic and operational management issues.
Why International Health Services and Hospital Management at LSBU?
- Gain managerial skills and explore how public health functions across organisational and national boundaries.
- light bulb
- Your evidence and research-based studies will help further health services and hospital management, wherever you're employed.
- Learn to deliver high quality services measured against international bench marks.
- Become acquainted to influencing and facilitating the creation of policy regarding health care delivery.
- International human resource and management
- Leading public health and health promotion
- Management and leadership
- Research methods and strategy
- Health economics in developing countries
- Management in action (includes an observation experience in NHS trust hospital or NGOs)
- Health planning in developing countries
Over 50 countries have been represented on the course and past students hold national and expatriate appointments across federal, provincial and district health services and in international organisations.
We are University of the Year for Graduate Employment for the second year in a row - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018, 2019.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Dr Vicki Taylor is Course Director for the MSc in International Health Services and Hospital Management. Vicki specialises in leadership and management for health and wellbeing.
Teaching and learning
The course is informed by theoretical insights and managerial understanding. Students from over 150 countries have attended the course and come to the programme with existing experience of the health service and or hospital management.
The overall aim of the course is to produce knowledgeable, competent senior managers with the interpersonal skills to operate efficiently and effectively in their health services.
The course objectives are to:
- Explore a broad overview of the historical organisational studies and the various contributory schools of thought
- Further develop the participants self-awareness of their own abilities and to foster personal and professional growth in self and others
- Enable students to develop a broad canvas of management concepts embracing political, economic, sociological, psychological and ethical elements
- Enable participants to increase their knowledge base and expertise in areas of management most pertinent to their present and/or intended management roles
- Foster the development of confidence in participants personal abilities as managers and leaders.
In addition to LSBU's standard entry requirements for postgraduate management awards, applicants will normally require:
- A degree or equivalent qualification together with appropriate senior work experience in a health service setting; or
- A professional qualification, recognised as being equivalent to degree level and appropriate senior work experience in a health services setting.
- For applicants whose first language is not English, an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent is required.
How to apply
International (non Home/EU) applicants should follow our international how to apply guide.
|Mode||Duration||Start date||Application code||Application method|
Postgraduate students and research students should apply through our dedicated application system. Full details of how to do this are supplied on our How to apply section for postgraduate students and our How to apply section for research students.
Students should apply for accommodation at London South Bank University (LSBU) as soon as possible, once we have made an offer of a place on one of our academic courses. Read more about applying for accommodation at LSBU.
It's a good idea to think about how you'll pay university tuition and maintenance costs while you're still applying for a place to study. Remember – you don't need to wait for a confirmed place on a course to start applying for student finance. Read how to pay your fees as a postgraduate student.
Postgraduate Application Service
Book a session with one of our specialist Postgraduate Advisors. Over a one on one Advice Session they'll advise you on postgraduate degrees at LSBU that match your interests and experience. Book an Advice Session.
Fees and funding
Fees are shown for new entrants to courses, for each individual year of a course, together with the total fee for all the years of a course. Continuing LSBU students should refer to the Finance section of our student portal, MyLSBU. Queries regarding fees should be directed to the Fees and Bursaries Team on: +44 (0)20 7815 6181.
|UK/EU fee: £15100||International fee: £15100|
|AOS/LSBU code: 3902||Session code: 1FS00|
For more information, including how and when to pay, see our fees and funding section for postgraduate students.
Possible fee changes
The University reserves the right to increase its fees in line with changes to legislation, regulation and any government guidance or decisions.
The fees for international students are reviewed annually and the University reserves the right to increase the tuition fees in line with the RPIX measure of inflation up to 4 per cent.
Postgraduate loan (PGL) for Masters study
If you are starting a Masters course, studying either full- or part-time, you may be entitled to apply for a postgraduate study loan. Find out more at our postgraduate fees and funding section.
We offer several types of fee reduction through our scholarships and bursaries. Find the full list and other useful information on funding your studies on the scholarships and fee discounts page.
Please check your fee status and whether you are considered a Home, EU or International student for fee-paying purposes and for our regulatory returns, by reading the UKCISA regulations.
Select a story and read about practical project work, students' placement experiences, research projects, alumni career achievements and what it’s really like to study here from the student perspective.
Prepare to start
We help our students prepare for university even before the semester starts. To find out when you should apply for your LSBU accommodation or student finance read the How to apply tab for this course.
Before you start your course we’ll send you information on what you’ll need to do before you arrive and during your first few days on campus. You can read about the process on our Welcome Week pages.
LSBU marks National Apprenticeship Week with celebratory event
12 March 2019
LSBU supports Southwark’s Business excellence awards 2019
13 February 2019
LSBU leads south London alliance supporting Mayor's new construction skills academy
13 February 2019
Renowned physicist Brian Cox addresses African knowledge exchange conference at LSBU
21 December 2018
London South Bank University’s new Passmore Centre will drive Apprenticeship delivery in Southwark
28 November 2018
David Longbottom, former LSBU Pro-Chancellor, awarded honorary doctorate
1 November 2018
LSBU students provide solutions for the local business community
14 June 2018
Annual careers evening with the School of Business
12 March 2018
Digital communications with Andrew Mitchell from Brandmovers
9 March 2018