MSc Architecture is a specialised programme designed to develop digital design and practical manufacturing skills. It builds on the ethos of rigorous and directed design studio tuition of LSBU’s established RIBA part 1 and 2 degrees. It also emphasises the value of detailed and analytical research and the expression of this through structured extended writing.
You’ll extend your understanding of advanced architectural design and progressive contextual urbanism through studio- and workshop-based projects. Tutorials in the design studio and analogue and digital workshops, as well as instruction in advanced design software, will help you define and enhance your personal response to architectural challenges.
The course connects 2D and 3D representations (drawing and physical modelling) with an understanding of digital fabrication and manufacturing, and you’ll have the opportunity to develop and make architectural components using the onsite facilities of the DARLAB(Digital Architecture and Robotic Lab).
You’ll also consider architectural history and theory, and evaluate this to develop your own position in the form of an extended written project on a subject of your choice. For your final design project you'll develop a proposition for a complex building or buildings, drawing together all your learning to highlight the relationships between theory, design and technology.
- Advanced digital design techniques
- Integrative technologies: robotic manufacturing
- Design 1: research
- History and theory: critical thinking
- Architecture and theory: dissertation
- Technology: technical thesis
- Design 2: synthesis
All design modules are subject to continuous assessment:
- Design tutors monitor design scheme proposals throughout the semester, and collectively moderate assessments at each semester’s end;
- Individual feedback on design project proposals is provided at every individual studio tutorial;
- An evaluative, critical summary of design projects is provided at all final presentations
Provisional grades are given at the end of semester 1, with all students offered opportunities to review, revise, and add to their design project submissions:
- A written and illustrated project report examining aspects of environmental technology;
- A major extended written and illustrated assignment (dissertation) on a subject of personal interest related to architecture, and using primary and secondary sources;
- Workshop-based fabrication and design projects;
- A written and illustrated technology report examining aspects of the constructional, environmental, and material implications of the major design project.
- Digital design and practical manufacturing skills are applicable to, and sought after in a very broad range of employment opportunities in architecture and other design-related activities, including visualisation, gaming, animation, media, production engineering, and industrial design.
- The course is not intended to lead to a professional qualification, although it reflects the criteria and graduate attributes used by RIBA to deliver their validation services to programmes in architecture.
- Curriculum developed to reflect (but not meet) professional and statutory body requirements.
LSBU Employability Service
We are University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
LSBU is committed to supporting you develop your employability and succeed in getting a job after you have graduated. Your qualification will certainly help, but in a competitive market you also need to work on your employability, and on your career search.
As an LSBU student you have access to the Employability Service and its resources during your time here and for two years after you graduate.
Our Employability Service will support you in developing your skills, finding a job, interview techniques, work experience or a placement/internship, and will help you assess what you need to do to get the career you want at the end of your course. LSBU offers a comprehensive Employability Service, with a range of initiatives to complement your studies, including:
- Direct engagement from employers who come in to network with students
- Job Shop – daily drop in service to help with, tailoring CVs, cover letters and applications, sourcing online resource, mock interviews and general job searching. One to one appointments for further support also available
- Mentoring and work shadowing schemes
- Higher education achievement report - The HEAR is designed to encourage a more sophisticated approach to recording student achievement, which acknowledges fully the range of opportunities that LSBU offers to our students.
It pulls into one certificate: Module grades, Course descriptions, Placements, LSBU verified extra-curricular activities
- Employability workshops - delivered free to students all year round on a variety of related topics
- Careers fairs throughout the year to really focus your thoughts on a career after university
Architectural theorist Prof. Stoppani has taught in Italy (IUAV), Australia (UTS, RMIT) and the UK (AA, Greenwich, Brighton, Leeds Beckett).
This advanced digital manufacturing robotic lab is designed for high-quality research, as well as developing commercial applications for architecture, and features a Kuka robotic arm that can produce architectural components.
This £2.8million facility is a unique, teaching, research and demonstration resource for renewable and intelligent energy solutions.
The Architecture Studio space at London South Bank University (LSBU) has inspirational views across London and is used on our undergraduate and postgraduate architecture degree courses.
Teaching and learning
Teaching takes place in our dedicated Masters level studios, and makes use of LSBU’s specialist workshops; the Digital Architecture Robotic Laboratory, and Centre for Efficient and Renewable Energy in Buildings.
You'll learn in a variety of formats including structured lecture programmes, 1:1 tutorials, small and large group seminars, and interim and final design juries with tutors and invited guests present.
- First degree in Architecture (2:1 or better) from an international university, which is validated by a recognised national or regional body; or
- First degree in Architecture (2:1 or better) from an RIBA recognised programme based outside the UK, which is validated as equivalent to RIBA part 1; or
- An excellent first degree in architecture from an RIBA recognised programme based in the UK, which offers the RIBA part 1 professional award; or
- Exceptionally, an excellent first degree in a design-based subject closely related to architecture. The school is committed to a policy of inclusivity and opportunity, each application and applicant will be considered on the merits of their wish to learn, and to explore architecture at higher degree level.
Suitable applicants to the course will usually be interviewed with their degree portfolio to understand their specific interests in architecture and disciplines related to architecture, and explore their further ambitions in architectural education.
How to apply
International (non Home/EU) applicants should follow our international how to apply guide.
|Mode||Duration||Start date||Application code||Application method|
Full-time/part-time postgraduate students and research students apply through the UK Postgraduate and Statistical Service (UKPASS). Full details of how to do this are supplied on our How to apply section for postgraduate students and our How to apply section for research students.
Postgraduate applicants are required to provide up to two references as part of their application.
Students should apply for accommodation at London South Bank University (LSBU) as soon as possible, once we have made an offer of a place on one of our academic courses. Read more about applying for accommodation at LSBU.
It's a good idea to think about how you'll pay university tuition and maintenance costs while you're still applying for a place to study. Remember – you don't need to wait for a confirmed place on a course to start applying for student finance. Read how to pay your fees as a postgraduate student.
Postgraduate Application Service
Book a session with one of our specialist Postgraduate Advisors. Over a one on one Advice Session they'll advise you on postgraduate degrees at LSBU that match your interests and experience. Book an Advice Session.
Fees and funding
Fees are shown for new entrants to courses, for each individual year of a course, together with the total fee for all the years of a course. Continuing LSBU students should refer to the Finance section of our student portal, MyLSBU. Queries regarding fees should be directed to the Fees and Bursary Team on: +44 (0)20 7815 6181.
|UK/EU fee: £8300||International fee: £12500|
|AOS/LSBU code: 4636||Session code: 1FS00|
For more information, including how and when to pay, see our fees and funding section for postgraduate students.
Possible fee changes
Current regulatory proposals suggest that institutions will be permitted to increase fee levels in line with inflation up to a specified fee cap. Specifically, LSBU may be permitted to increase its fees for new and existing Home and EU students from 2017/18 onwards. The University reserves the right to increase its fees in line with changes to legislation, regulation and any governmental guidance or decisions.
The fees for international students are reviewed annually, and additionally the University reserves the right to increase tuition fees in line with inflation up to 4 per cent.
Postgraduate loan (PGL) for Masters study
If you are starting a postgraduate course, studying for a Masters-level qualification either full- or part-time from 1 August, you may be entitled to apply for a £10,280 postgraduate study loan. Find out more at our postgraduate fees and funding section.
Postgraduate Advice Service
You are invited to book a one-to-one appointment with one of our Postgraduate Advisors. They offer a 30 minute face-to-face session where you can get tailored advice on fees and funding. Book a 1-2-1 Advice Session.
We offer students considerable financial help through scholarships, bursaries, charitable funds, loans and other financial support. Many of our scholarships are given as direct Tuition Fee discounts.
Overview of scholarships and fee discounts for postgraduate students. Key scholarships and discounts below.
Students holding an offer of a place on a postgraduate course will be invited to apply for a Vice-Chancellor Scholarships.
LSBU Graduate Loyalty Scheme
This scheme gives eligible undergraduate students and alumni a discount of their taught postgraduate tuition fees when they enrol on one of our postgraduate taught courses starting this year. Read more about the Graduate Loyalty Scheme.
As well as being potentially eligible for our undergraduate scholarships, International students can also benefit from a range of specialist scholarships. Find out more about International scholarships.
Please check your fee status and whether you are considered a home, EU or international student for fee-paying purposes by reading the UKCISA regulations.
Select a case study and read about practical project work, students' placement experiences, research projects, alumni career achievements and what it’s really like to study here from the student perspective.
Prepare to start
We help our students prepare for university even before the semester starts. To find out when you should apply for your LSBU accommodation or student finance read How to apply tab for this course.
Enrolment and Induction
Enrolment takes place before you start your course. On completing the process, new students formally join the University. Enrolment consists of two stages: online, and your face-to-face enrolment meeting. The online process is an online data gathering exercise that you will complete yourself, then you will be invited to your face-to-face enrolment meeting.
In September, applicants who have accepted an unconditional offer to study at LSBU will be sent details of induction, which is when they are welcomed to the University and their School. Induction helps you get the best out of your university experience, and makes sure you have all the tools to succeed in your studies.
Course Enquiries - UK/EU
Tel: 0800 923 8888
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7815 6100Get in touch
Course Enquiries - International
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7815 6189Get in touch
LSBU supports Southwark Council’s successful bid to regenerate Walworth heritage
12 January 2018
Thomas’ success proves Asperger’s is no barrier in academia
29 November 2017
LSBU leads by example in tackling sustainability challenges
22 November 2017
Mayor of London certifies LSBU a healthy place to work
15 November 2017
Discover the Changing Face of Elephant & Castle at LSBU
14 November 2017
LSBU awards six honorary graduates and fellows
10 November 2017
LSBU celebrates 125 year Anniversary with Parliamentary reception
9 November 2017
LSBU awarded £49k HEFCE grant to boost ‘Stop the hate trait’ campaign
26 October 2017
LSBU and BUE celebrate academic partnership
13 October 2017