Debate: Generalist versus specialist learning
Event type: Free public debate
Date: Tuesday 15 November
Location: The Clarence Centre, London South Bank University
Learning in all forms, from the education of students to the continuing development of professionals, is key to a sustainable built environment. The issues explored in this debate were around general cross-disciplinary learning versus focusing on the specialisation of disciplines.
Watch the Periscope live stream of the debate.
- Read Chloe Hampton's pre-debate accompanying article (PDF File 179 KB) about the main factors influencing the debate. You can also read a post-debate summary (PDF File 184 KB) of what went on.
About the debate
To deal with challenges of sustainability, is deep and narrow knowledge more beneficial or is shallow and broad knowledge more desirable? We know that collaboration between disciplines is essential, but so is detailed understanding of technical issues. How do we create graduates and professionals who have the skills and knowledge to create and maintain a built environment that is environmentally, socially and economically sustainable?
The debate was centred around three key questions:
- A common language: how do we create graduates who can address the environmental challenge?
- Lifelong learning across built environment professionals: when to specialise?
- Feedback loop between education and practice: how can this support and drive generalisation or specialism?
- Nigel Tonks, Buildings London Leader, Arup
- For specialist learning
Satheesh Jacob, Head of Excellence, Building Services, Ramboll
Alex MacLaren, Assistant Professor – Architectural Design, Heriot Watt University
- For generalist learning
Paul Tymkow, Director of Learning and Knowledge, Hoare Lea
Robert Schmidt III, Senior Lecturer, Loughborough University
LSBU announces new partnership with Brandmovers Inc
30 November 2017
CIMA grants LSBU students an exemption to fast-track their accountancy qualifications
20 October 2017
LSBU and BUE celebrate academic partnership
13 October 2017
Tenants and graduate entrepreneurs head to Toronto to run their businesses
26 September 2017
LSBU graduate entrepreneur nominated for international award
17 August 2017
Entrepreneurs share personal journeys at Dr Rami Ranger CBE enterprise lecture
19 July 2017
Renowned entrepreneurs to share journey to success in annual lecture
10 July 2017
Experts debate the future of public service media
13 June 2017
Generation Z have their say on how public service media need to adapt
12 June 2017