The People’s Academy was launched in 2015. Here’s a round-up of some of its major achievements to date.
- Aiding mental illness recovery
- This project was led by professional Life Coach and mental health service user, Humphrey Greaves. The sessions were based around his book 'Recovery? Goal On!' and explored novel ideas around how applying the principals of life coaching can aid mental ill health recovery.
- Artist in Residence programme
- The work of the Academy’s first Artist in Residence, Xavier White, is exploring ideas of compassion and caring. As a survivor of a near fatal head injury, White uses his personal experiences and creativity to help shape teaching and learning for NHS workers and LSBU students and staff. His first art installation at the University was reviewed as ‘stunning and meaningful’ and for his current project he’s running a range of creative workshops intriguingly called, the 'Dance of caring persons and the Shields of Compassion'.
- Recruiting the next generation
- Members of The Academy have been involved in recruiting over 1,000 new health and social care students for the University. Attending various recruitment events, members interact with potential students, exploring their values, attributes, and finally assessing whether they are right for a career in the sector.
- Winner of major Fellowship Programme
- On being awarded the Darzi Fellowship Programme, the University was given responsibility for delivering a range of training, in partnership with the London Leadership Academy. The programme offers bespoke leadership development to Darzi Fellows who come from multi-professional backgrounds as doctors; nurses and midwives; allied health professionals; paramedics; dentists; healthcare scientists; and pharmacists. The People’s Academy is taking a major role in establishing the training on offer.
- Shaping the University’s curriculum
- The People’s Academy was involved with the in-depth process of reviewing all undergraduate and pre-registration health and social care courses at LSBU and received a commendation at the University’s validation event in 2016. Acknowledging the Academy’s commitment to the University, they are now contributing to the Continuous Professional Development and postgraduate review of courses for our School of Health and Social Care.
Upcoming eventsView all events...
Latest newsView all news...
LSBU marks National Apprenticeship Week with celebratory event
12 March 2019
LSBU Journalism students to team up with innovative start-up Fighthoax
6 March 2019
LSBU Vice-Chancellor joins Educational Commission for Lifelong Learning
26 February 2019
London South Bank University welcomes Secretary of State for Education
13 February 2019
LSBU supports Southwark’s Business excellence awards 2019
13 February 2019
London South Bank first UK University to offer Digital Marketer Degree Apprenticeships
7 February 2019
London South Bank University and Lambeth College unite to transform educational opportunities in south London
1 February 2019
LSBU alumnus Stephen Addison honoured for helping young people in East London escape gang culture
29 January 2019
Branching out: LSBU research fellow tours universities UK-wide to promote The Great Competition
14 January 2019