The People’s Academy was launched in 2015. Here’s a round-up of some of its major achievements to date.
- Aiding mental illness recovery
- This project was led by professional Life Coach and mental health service user, Humphrey Greaves. The sessions were based around his book 'Recovery? Goal On!' and explored novel ideas around how applying the principals of life coaching can aid mental ill health recovery.
- Artist in Residence programme
- The work of the Academy’s first Artist in Residence, Xavier White, is exploring ideas of compassion and caring. As a survivor of a near fatal head injury, White uses his personal experiences and creativity to help shape teaching and learning for NHS workers and LSBU students and staff. His first art installation at the University was reviewed as ‘stunning and meaningful’ and for his current project he’s running a range of creative workshops intriguingly called, the 'Dance of caring persons and the Shields of Compassion'.
- Recruiting the next generation
- Members of The Academy have been involved in recruiting over 1,000 new health and social care students for the University. Attending various recruitment events, members interact with potential students, exploring their values, attributes, and finally assessing whether they are right for a career in the sector.
- Winner of major Fellowship Programme
- On being awarded the Darzi Fellowship Programme, the University was given responsibility for delivering a range of training, in partnership with the London Leadership Academy. The programme offers bespoke leadership development to Darzi Fellows who come from multi-professional backgrounds as doctors; nurses and midwives; allied health professionals; paramedics; dentists; healthcare scientists; and pharmacists. The People’s Academy is taking a major role in establishing the training on offer.
- Shaping the University’s curriculum
- The People’s Academy was involved with the in-depth process of reviewing all undergraduate and pre-registration health and social care courses at LSBU and received a commendation at the University’s validation event in 2016. Acknowledging the Academy’s commitment to the University, they are now contributing to the Continuous Professional Development and postgraduate review of courses for our School of Health and Social Care.
Upcoming eventsView all events...
27 September 2018Dr Rami Ranger CBE Annual Enterprise Lecture
19 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
20 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
28 November 2018The Dark Side of Accountancy: Ethical dilemmas and sustainability challenges
Latest newsView all news...
LSBU announces new partnership with Brandmovers Inc
30 November 2017
CIMA grants LSBU students an exemption to fast-track their accountancy qualifications
20 October 2017
LSBU and BUE celebrate academic partnership
13 October 2017
Tenants and graduate entrepreneurs head to Toronto to run their businesses
26 September 2017
LSBU graduate entrepreneur nominated for international award
17 August 2017
Entrepreneurs share personal journeys at Dr Rami Ranger CBE enterprise lecture
19 July 2017
Renowned entrepreneurs to share journey to success in annual lecture
10 July 2017
Experts debate the future of public service media
13 June 2017
Generation Z have their say on how public service media need to adapt
12 June 2017