Why host a LSBU student?
Our Employability team are always looking to connect with businesses who can help our students to apply their learning to a real world environment. We offer the opportunity to work with our students and recent graduates through placements and internships. The benefits of hosting a student include:
- Raising the profile of your organisation among our students and on campus
- Developing a future pipeline of talent
- Opening up mentorship opportunities for your employees
- Make an impact on business development by working on targeted short-term projects
- Offering fresh teaching-informed insight into general operations, management styles, and customer relations
- Increasing capacity of your wider team to develop and deliver projects
What are my options?
LSBU students are available to undertake a range of placement and internship options, according to their studies and your business needs. These may include
- Many of our students are keen to secure a placement for up to a year during their studies to gain hands-on industry experience before graduating (sometimes referred to as a sandwich year or year in industry). For more information on placements please see our placement handbook for employers.
- Graduate internships
- Internships are a short-term period of work and can be a useful stepping stone for graduates to secure permanent work while helping them develop confidence and soft skills as well as building contacts. Hiring a graduate intern lets you test-drive talent to evaluate their potential as a permanent employee.
- Summer internships
- The university holidays are a great opportunity for students to undertake a full-time internship for a period of two to three months, while having a break from their studies.
- How do I advertise a placement or internship?
- First, you'll need to register your company profile on our free job portal. Please include as much information about your business as possible. Your profile will be checked and approved by a member of staff before it goes live. Once your profile has been created, you can add a new job through your account. It will then be visible to all students who are registered on the portal.
- Working with SMEs
- We're developing opportunities for students to work with local SMEs and start-ups. We are keen to support the growth of this fast-growing sector while giving our students a taste of what it really takes to run a business. If you represent a SME and are interested in working with our students, please contact Libby England, Student Enterprise Manager.
What does it cost?
There is no charge to advertise your vacancy. The only cost to you as a business is the salary to the student which you pay directly to them. Year placements are advertised with an annual salary. Summer, part-time and project placements can be advertised on an weekly or hourly basis.
Please note that we are unable to advertise or manage any placement or internship that is unpaid. Please ensure your posting meets national minimum wage legislation.
If you'd like to discuss any of the information on this page in more detail please contact: email@example.com
25 July 2019CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
5 October 2019University Open Day
7 October 2019School of Business Graduation Ceremony 2019
14 October 2019Graduation Ceremony: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
28 October 2019LSBU Graduations 2019: School of the Built Environment; School of Engineering
4 November 2019School of Health and Social Care Graduation Ceremony 2019
9 November 2019University Open Day
Drama graduates perform at Kingston's International Youth Arts Fringe Festival
8 July 2019
Design students win 2019 PVC Redesigned competition
5 July 2019
Bakery students achieve great success at the Alliance of Bakery Students and Trainees Conference 2019
3 July 2019
LSBU first UK university to launch fully chartered town planner apprenticeship scheme
27 June 2019
Engineering the Future: Two teams of LSBU students make it to Design Challenge National Finals
27 June 2019
LSBU celebrates wealth of local business talent at Southwark Business Awards Gala Finale
18 June 2019
Creative Technologies students celebrate work at End of Year Show
14 June 2019
LSBU’s Professor Alison Leary awarded MBE in Queen's Birthday Honours List 2019
14 June 2019
Lauren Webster, student at LSBU, wins at Women in Property Awards for the South East
12 June 2019