Senior Lecturer in Structural Design
Telephone:020 7815 7649
School/Division:Built Environment and Architecture / Civil and Building Services Engineering
Simon is a Senior Lecturer in the Division of Civil and Building Services Engineering, under the School of Built Environment and Architecture. His background and expertise is in Structural Engineering. He is a chartered structural engineering with a wealth of industrial experience in engineering consultancies in London. He was previously responsible for the design and delivery of projects varying in size and complexity across residential, commercial and education sectors in London. He joined LSBU as Senior Lecturer in Structural Design in 2017 and his primary focus is on education by adopting new technologies in the construction industry.
Simon first graduated from University College London (UCL) with a Bachelor's of Engineering in Civil Engineering. He was also read a Master of Science degree in Structural Engineering from Imperial College London. He was then awarded a Master of Research Degree in Urban Sustainability and Resilience from UCL.
Simon is passionate in promoting engineering in the Higher Education sector. He encourages a mixture of practical and theoretical approach to foster the next generation of engineers, which is key to address the skills shortages in our industry. He teaches modules on both Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels, which includes the following modules:
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering | Level 5 | Design of Elements
- BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering | Level 5 | Group Design Project [ML]
- BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering & BSc (Hons) Architectural Engineering | Level 6 | Structures and Design [ML]
- BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering & BSc (Hons) Architectural Engineering | Level 6 | Group Design Project and PD [ML]
- BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering & BSc (Hons) Architectural Engineering | Level 6 | Forensic Engineering
- BEng (Hons) & BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering | Level 6 | Individual Research Projects
- MSc Civil / Structural Engineering | Level 7 | Advanced Structural Design [ML]
- MSc Research Project
- [ML] Module Leader
Simon research interest is on latest advancement / technology in the construction industry. More recent research area includes:
- Mace jump factory - Research on the usage of jump factory in Stratford.
- VR/AR technology in construction
- Partnering with J&P UK to develop research projects on the finite modelling analyses of cast-in products
- Sustainability on tall buildings
Simon is a chartered structural engineer with the following professional affiliations:
- Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
- Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Member of the Institution of Engineers of Ireland (IEI)
- Chartered Engineer in the Engineering Council (CEng)
Simon has been appointed as the Hon. Secretary and Vice Chair for the Institution of the Structural Engineers, North Thames Regional Group committee.
Simon is a Marking Examiner for the Chartered Member Examination and Associate-Member Examination of the Institution of the Structural Engineer.
Simon has also been nominated as a committee member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, London region.