Senior Lecturer: Tourism, Hospitality and Leisure
Telephone:020 7815 8128
School/Division:Law and Social Sciences / Urban, Environment and Leisure Studies
Robyn Griffith-Jones is a (part-time) Senior Lecturer in Tourism Marketing in the Department of Urban, Environment and Leisure Studies. Her areas of expertise are in marketing strategy, communications and public relations, destination development and marketing, branding, sustainability, accessibility and tourism policy.
She joined the tourism and hospitality teaching team in 2008, following a career managing marketing and communications for British Airways, Cunard Line, the Victoria and Albert Museum and the English Tourist Board. Robyn is a previous Travel and Tourism editor of the Economist Intelligence Unit and a past editor of the Tourism Management Journal.
When not teaching at the university, Robyn works as a consultant for a range of clients providing advice and training in marketing, public relations and accessibility. She is also founder director of Access New Business, a consultancy helping destinations and industry to improve accessibility for disabled and less able travellers.
Robyn has an MA in Geography and Economics from Syracuse University, USA.
Robyn's main areas of teaching are: marketing strategy; communications and public relations; destination development and marketing; branding; sustainability; accessibility and tourism policy.
Robyn leads on four marketing modules across the Tourism, Hospitality and Leisure degrees and contributes to other modules as required. She maintains contacts with key tourism players such as hotels, attractions, VisitBritain , ABTA , London and Partners and the local Business Improvement Districts to provide direct input to student lectures and projects.
BSc Tourism, Hospitality and Leisure Management
Level 4 (Year 1)
- Markets and Marketing Module Co-ordinator
Level 5 (Year 2)
- Marketing Strategy and Communications (Module Co-ordinator)
Level 6 (Year 3)
- Destination Marketing (Module Co-ordinator)
MSc International Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Marketing Strategy (Module Co-ordinator)
- Business and Management Strategy (Reputation Management)
- Dissertation Supervision
Robyn's time at the university is entirely devoted to teaching and supervision.
Robyn is a fellow of the Tourism Society and a member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations
When not teaching at the university Robyn provides consultancy in her areas of expertise - marketing, public relations and accessibility. Recent projects completed for clients include:
- Advisor to the leading green auditing organization, Green Tourism Business Scheme, on developing accessibility criteria
- A major policy review and recommendations for change in the run up to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games entitled Is London Ready to Welcome the Disabled Visitor? (LDA 2011)
- Authoring the first toolkit for the tourism industry in England designed to assist businesses in marketing to the disabled traveller: Speak up! A Guide to Marketing Your Accessibility, (VisitEngland 2013)
- Market assessments and planning for new leisure/heritage projects including developing a multi-use (land and water) strategy for the River Thames for the UK Environment Agency, a new coast to coast cycle route and a new walking trail at Stonehenge
- Visit London, South West Tourism, VisitEngland: developing workshops and advisory programmes for SMEs on improving accessibility to tourism businesses