Prof. Gaim Kibreab
Course Director - MSc Refugee Studies
Telephone:020 7815 8072
School/Division:Law and Social Sciences / Social Sciences
Professor Gaim Kibreab is a Research Professor and Course Director of the MSc Refugee Studies at London South Bank University, School of Law and Social Sciences in the Department of Social Science. He earned a PhD degree from Uppsala University, Sweden, Faculty of Social Sciences/Institute of Economic History.
He has published widely on forced migration (refugees, development-induced displacement, internally displaced persons, and environmentally-induced population displacement), development and governance in post-conflict societies. He is currently working on causes of forced migration in post-independence Eritrea.
- MSc Refugee Studies
- MSc Development Studies
Professor Kibreab's research interests include forced migration, Resettlement, repatriation and development, conflict, environment and resource management, water resources governance, post-conflict reconstruction, gender and development, livelihoods, governance, democratisation and civil society associations. Currently, he is researching the causes and consequences of forced migration in post-independence Eritrea.
- Kibreab, Gaim (2009) 'Eritrea: A Dream Deferred'. Oxford: James Currey an Imprint of Boydell and Brewer Ltd and Nordic African Institute, Uppsala, Sweden xxvi + 448
- Kibreab, Gaim (2008) 'Critical Reflections on the Eritrean War of Independence: Social Capital, Associational Life, Religion, Ethnicity, and Sowing Seeds of Dictatorship' (Trenton, N.J.: Africa World Press) (in press) xvii + 450 pages
- Kibreab, Gaim (2013) 'The national service/Warsai-Yikealo Development Campaign and forced migration in post-independence Eritrea' Journal of Eastern African Studies, 2013 Vol. 7, No. 4, 630–649, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17531055.2013.843965
- Kibreab, Gaim (2011) 'Forced Migration and Social Change: A Case Study of Eritrean Refugees in Sudan' Sudan Journal of Economic and Social Studies 9 (1): 95-124
- Kibreab, Gaim (2010) 'Climate change and human migration: a tenuous relationship?' Fordham Environmental Law Review 20 (2 &3): 357-402
Most recent publications
Islam, MZ and Kolade, O and Kibreab, G Post‐disaster Housing Reconstruction: The Impact of Resourcing in Post‐cyclones Sidr and Aila in Bangladesh. Journal of International Development, DOI 10.1002/jid.3367
Kibreab, G The Eritrean National Service: Servitude for the Common Good and the Youth Exodus. James Currey, Woodbridge. ISBN 78-1-84701-160-2
Kibreab, G Sexual Violence in the Eritrean National Service. African Studies Review, 60. 123-143. DOI 10.1017/asr.2017.5More publications at LSBU Research Open
International Association for the Study of Forced Migration (IASFM)
External Examiner: LSE, Department of International Development, MSc Programme
University of Bradford:
- MA International Development Management
- MSc Development Policy and Practice for Civil Society (Mzumbe University, Tanzania)