Prof. Asa Barber
Dean of Engineering
Telephone:020 7815 7502
Prof. Asa Barber is the Dean of Engineering at LSBU, and was previously the Head of the School of Engineering at Portsmouth University.
Prof. Barber’s interests are in materials engineering and particularly the mechanical behaviour of composite-like structures. Many research activities have focussed on constituents with reduced dimensions, such as polymeric nanofibers, carbon nanotubes and graphene, and the building blocks used to assemble biological structures. Such research has often required the development of novel mechanical and imaging techniques. These interests have a broad range of applications from tissue engineering and healthcare to lightweight materials used in transport.
Prof. Barber has published extensively and has secured over £5M in research funding from government grants as well as direct support from industry. Prof. Barber currently holds committee membership of the Royal Microscopical Society and holds editorial positions in MRS Advances and Frontiers in Materials. Prof. Barber was the recent chair of the conference Tomography for Scientific Advancement (ToScA) 2017 and has held led numerous session in conferences included Microscience and Microanalysis, Materials Research Society meetings and the Gordon Conference in Thin Films and Small Scale Behaviour.
- 2018 Scientific organizing committee, 9th International Workshop on Infrared Microscopy and Spectroscopy with Accelerator Based Sources, UK.
- 2017 Chair, Tomography for Scientific Advancement (ToScA) 2017, International Conference, Portsmouth, UK.
- 2017 Invited talk ‘correlating x-ray tomography with additive manufacturing’, Advances in X-ray Imaging ‘17, Diamond Light Source, UK.
- 2017 Special Issue Editor, Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering and Frontiers in Materials
- 2017 Carl Zeiss Ltd. Lecture (invited), Cambridge, UK
- 2016 Special Issue Editor (invited), Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials (Elsevier): Collagen Mechanics
- 2015 Session Organizer, The Microscience & Microscopy Congress 2015, Manchester, UK
- 2015 Keynote Lecture (invited), 7th European Solid Mechanics Conference, Madrid, Spain
- 2014 Visiting Professor, Queen Mary University of London
- 2014 Associate Editor in Frontiers in Materials (mechanics)
- 2014 Guest Lecturer. International Centre for Mechanical Sciences Summer School “Electrospinning: from Electrohydrodynamic to Controlled Structure and Physical Properties of Nanofibers”. Sept. 1-5.
- 2013 Member of the Industrial Liaison Board, NanoForce Technology Ltd.
- 2012 Editorial Board Member, MRS Conf. Proc., USA
- 2012 Gordon Conference in Thin Films and Small Scale Mechanical Behaviour Session Leader (invited), Maine, USA
- 2012 Scientific & Organizing Committee Member, European Microscopy Congress, Manchester, UK
- 2012 Nanomechanics Session Organizer, European Microscopy Congress, Manchester, UK
- 2012 Invited Talk, Electrospinning: Principles, Possibilities and Practice, Institute of Physics, London, UK
- 2011 Nano Knowledge Transfer Network (Keynote lecture), Oxford, UK
- 2011-present Scanning Electron Microscopy Technology Committee Member (elected)
- 2011 University of Surrey Physics Lecture (invited), Surrey, UK
- 2011 Keynote Talk (invited), NanoTough, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2010 Invited Talk, Scanning Electron Microscopy Technology, Institute of Pharmacy, UK
- 2009 School of Materials Seminar Lecture (invited), University of Manchester, UK
- 2009 MRS Invited Lecture, San Francisco, USA
- 2009 FEI Guest Lecture (invited), Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- 2008 present Royal Microscopy Society Committee Member (elected)
- 2008 School of Materials Seminar Lecture (invited), University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
- 2008 Keynote Talk (invited), Scanning Electron Microscopy Technology, London, UK
- 2008 Invited Lecture, IoM3, Newcastle, UK
- 2008 Colloids Seminar Lecture, Imperial College, London, UK
- 2006 present Scientific Board Member, NanoForce Ltd.
- 2004 IIMM (International Conference) Steering Committee (elected)
- 2003 Invited Talk CNT-NET, Cambridge UK
- 2003 Best Paper, IIMM’03, Hungary
- 1999 Institute of Materials Travel Award
- 1997 ICI/Vinamul Ltd. CASE Award for PhD Research
- 1996 Anthony Poeton Award for Industrial Research