Telephone:020 7815 5719
School/Division:Law and Social Sciences / Law
Katherine Stylianou has been a Senior Lecturer at London South Bank University for 23 years, working in the Law Department. She is a qualified Barrister and has been a practising Family Mediator since 1995. She has developed numerous modules for the law undergraduate degree and has been involved in the development of postgraduate study in the department.
She is currently leading the following modules: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Mediation and Negotiation Skills, Analysis of Evidence and Criminal Law and the Law of Evidence.
She has been a Course Director, including the old Bar Finals Course, Dean of First Year Students, Year tutor and had responsibility for programme monitoring. She currently runs a module in Mediation Skills - with an add on skills course - recognised by College of Mediators as being Foundation Training for mediation skills.
She is a project and dissertation supervisor on undergraduate and postgraduate courses. She is involved in the Professional Standards Committee with the College of Mediators, concerned with setting independent standards for training and mediation practice. Katherine is also a trainer in Family Mediation, acting regularly as an external assessor for those undertaking training.
Katherine has delivered and published papers and articles on the topic of Family Mediation ethics and boundaries of practice.
Katherine has taught at LSBU for 23 years, writing and developing modules in Evidence, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and Mediation Skills. Katherine has offered workshops at various conferences on boundaries and ethics and understanding the value of family mediation for many years.
She began teaching whilst a tenant in chambers, offering civil and criminal litigation and civil and criminal evidence lectures and seminars to Bar Finals students. Over time, she has been invited to offer her specialism in family mediation and ADR to other institutions, supporting development of modules and courses in these areas. She has written and developed a family mediation module at Westminster University on their LLM Dispute Resolution. Katherine has also taught on the MSc Conflict Studies and Mediation course at Birkbeck College, London University and at University of North London, on LLM Course in Dispute Resolution. She has also been an external examiner for Birkbeck and University of East Anglia (Polytechnic).
- Family Mediation
- Mediation Skills
- Evidence and Analysis
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (since 2005)
- Recognised Member of the College of Mediators
- Member of National Family Mediation
- Member of Professional Standards Committee of the College of Mediators
- Bar Council (Middle Temple) Called 1988
- Trainer and Assessor for Mediation Foundation Skills training and Family Mediation Training (current)
- Practicing Family Mediator at South East London Family Mediation Bureau (current) - NFM trained in Child Only Issues, All Issues, trained to consult with children and as Professional Practice Consultant (Supervisor) to Family Mediator practitioners.
- Member of Professional Standards Committee of College of Mediators (current)