Reader in Educational Development
Telephone:020 7815 6875
Professional service:Academic Staff Development Unit
Gail currently works in the Academic Staff Development Unit, mainly teaching and tutoring on the PGCHE course. She joined LSBU in 1989, developing and managing what became the Centre for Academic Language and Communication (CALC) in the then Faculty of Business. She took voluntary severance from CALC in 2012 and continues with her work in educational development. She formally joined the PGCHE course team in 2004, having already been involved with the course for many years. She became a Reader in Educational Development in 2009.
Gail's background was initially in English language teaching which then developed into materials writing and training English language teachers, both in the UK and abroad. She has benefited from working in Brazil, Iran, Egypt, China and Italy as well as in the Universities of Reading and Newcastle in the UK. Her first degree was BA Hispanic Honours (Spanish and Portuguese) followed by an MA Latin American Area Studies, a PGDip in Teaching English Overseas and an MA Language and Literature in Education.
Her current research interests are teaching sustainability literacy in higher education and leading and managing in learning and teaching in higher education.
As a member of the Academic Staff Development Unit, Gail teaches and tutors on all three modules of the PGCHE for LSBU. She also tutors external teaching staff and is module leader for 'Leading and managing learning and teaching in higher education'. A key part of the work is to supervise the Course Participants, crucially observing their teaching and discussing this (for Modules 1 and 2); and supervising a research project in learning and teaching for Module 3.
- 2008: Learning and Teaching Innovation Grant from LSBU to pursue development of an archive of video recordings of good teaching practice in LSBU called "Viewing Excellent Teaching" (VET)
- 2004-2008 Research project: annual review of the written feedback of teaching observation given by the PGCHE course team to course participants over 4 years. The annual report was used for staff development of the PGCHE course team, to moderate and review our feedback on teaching observation. Workshop presented at the SEDA conference, Aston University, November 2008
- 2006 Report: review of good practice in peer observation in UK universities - research project undertaken for LSBU's Learning and Teaching Enhancement Unit to inform the review of LSBU's peer observation scheme
- Various conference papers: in English for academic purposes and English for business for BALEAP and IATEFL events
- 1992: Research project for the ODA - with Monica Threlfall. A desk study entitled
- Constraints on the Participation of Women in Technical Cooperation and Training due to lack of English language skills" (October 1991 - July 1992)
- 1992: The provision of English Language Support to Vietnamese refugees in order to enable them to participate in job search activities in the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark - consultancy project for the South Thames Training and Enterprise Council (STTEC)
- 1988-94: Inspector of UK language schools teaching English as a foreign language for the British Council accreditation scheme
- 1988: MA thesis Exploiting Classroom Data in In-service Teacher Training (London University: Institute of Education)
- "HEA: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (recognition reference 7029)
- "BALEAP: British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes
- "IATEFL: International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language
- 2011 on: Chair of BALEAP Special Interest Group HEAL, the Higher Education Academy Link group
- 2009-2012: Executive committee of BALEAP
- 1994-2009: Assessor for BALEAP: the British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes - accreditation for university courses in English for academic purposes.
Recent external examinerships
- 2009-2013: Univ of Central Lancashire: UG and Foundation accredited units in EAP
- 2009-2012: INTO Exeter University: UG and Foundation accredited units in EAP
- 2005-2009: Sheffield Hallam University - accredited UG modules in EAP
- 2005-2009: London Metropolitan University - International Foundation Course
External adviser validation panels
- 2011: PGCHE revalidation Southampton Solent University
- 2004: Foundation Certificate in English and Business for PG students, Kingston University