Dr Saim Memon
Senior Lecturer in Electrical Engineering
Telephone:020 7815 7510
School/Division:Engineering / Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Dr Saim Memon is a Senior Lecturer in Electrical Engineering in the Centre for Advanced Materials, Division of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (DEEE).He is a Degree Apprenticeship Program (Divisional) Lead. He is a founder and Academic Lead of DEEE Society, Equality & Diversity Lead (Pan School Role) and the Project Manager of the IET Engineering Education Grant Scheme. He teaches HND/BEng/MEng modules, supervises BEng students’ projects and co-supervises a PhD student. He is a Fellow of HEA with a qualified teacher status by GTCS and PGCert Teaching Qualification from University of Aberdeen. He did his PhD in Electrical & Electronic Engineering from Loughborough University, MSc in Mechatronics from Staffordshire University and BEng (Hons) in Electrical Engineering with Distinction from Mehran University of Engineering & Technology.
He specialises in solar energy materials for sustainable low-carbon buildings, smart vacuum insulated windows with applied low-e coatings, heat reflective transparent coatings and thermochromics, electrochromic and photochromic films. His research interests are also on improving the energy-efficiency of thermo-electric materials with vacuum insulation for electrical power generation. He has over 20 research publications in the form of journals, conferences and newsletter.
Prior to LSBU, he worked as a lecturer in Electrical Engineering for two academic years at North East Scotland College of HE/FE, Aberdeen, where he taught mainly HNC/HND Electrical Engineering industrial technicians/apprentices/entrepreneurs. Before this, he was a Technologist-Research Engineer at The Technology Research Centre Ltd and achieved success in EC H2020 & Innovate UK projects in the area of Sustainable Building, Renewable Energy and Automated Control System. He was also a teacher in Renewable Energy (PT) for over 2.5 years to MSc Renewable Energy Systems Technology course and PhD Researcher in EPSRC project EP/G000387/1 CALEBRE at Loughborough University.
- Introduction to Electrical and Electronic Engineering (ENG_4_404) (Module Leader)
- Principles of Power Generation, Transmission & Distribution (EEE_4_PGT_1718) (Module Leader) (Degree Apprenticeship Program)
- Electrical Principles DC (ENG_4_502) (Module Leader)
- Electrical Principles AC (ENG_4_526) (Module Leader)
- Power Generation Components-Testing and Maintenance (EEE_7_PGC_1718) (Module Leader) (Degree Apprenticeship Program)
- Electrical Technology (ENG_5_506) 16-17 (Workshop)
- Electrical Machines and Power Electronics (ENG_5_524) (Workshop)
- Electrical Energy Converters and Drives (ENG_6_528_1617) (Workshop)
- Mathematics (ENG_4_501) 16-17 (Tutorial)
- BEng Project (ENG_6_424_1617)
The following modules taught at HND/HNC level at North East Scotland College of HE and FE, UK:
- Electrical Machine Principles
- Three Phase Systems
- Electrical Networks & Resonance
- Utilisation of Electrical Energy in Buildings
- Fundamentals of Control Systems & Transducers
- Electrostatics & Electromagnetics
- Single & Three Phase Induction Motors
- Electrical Principles
- Electrical Plant Theory
- Combinational Logic
- Electronic Network Analysis
The following modules taught, as distance learning tutor, at MSc level at Loughborough University, UK:
- Solar Thermal Systems
- Energy Storage
- Hydro Power
Teaching qualifications and certification
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy via self-structured experiences route, Dec 2016.(#PR112703)
- Registered Qualified Teacher (General Teaching Council for Scotland), April, 2017 (#176315)
- PG Cert Teaching Qualification in FE, University of Aberdeen, UK, May-2016
Dr Saim specialises in solar energy materials for sustainable low-carbon buildings, smart vacuum insulated windows with applied low-e coatings, heat reflective transparent coatings, and thermochromics, electrochromic and photochromic films. His research interests are also on improving the energy-efficiency of thermo-electric materials with vacuum insulation for electrical power generation. He developed cost-effective and novel methods and advanced materials for the fabrication of double and triple vacuum glazing having potential to lead this technology with electrochromic layer for low-heat loss and solar controlled glazing. He has over 20 research publications in the form of journals, conferences and newsletter.
He participates to research and scholarly collaborative outreach activities such as the awarded participation to World Sustainable Energy Days Austria, RAEng Symposium Oxford, Newton Fund Researchers links International Workshop Penang Malaysia. Dr Saim is also awarded a grant by The IET Engineering Education Grant Scheme in which he planned and produced this project to encourage and motivate students’ aged 11-19, especially females, from local London schools and FE colleges in Engineering Education.
Prior to LSBU, he worked as a Technologist-Research Engineer at The Technology Research Centre Ltd, Grantham, in 2014 where he wrote in collaboration with his team the IP protected EC H2020, Innovate UK, Innovate UK smart grant proposals which involved research, project management, technical, commercial and business development. During his collaborative research the company achieved two €50,000 funding’s for feasibility studies on IP protected H2020 and Innovate UK projects, respectively, and £5000 as a lead writer for Innovate UK (IV). He undertook research on vacuum insulated glazing which was part of the EPSRC funded CALEBRE (Consumer-Appealing Low Energy technologies for Building Retrofitting) project from 2010 to 2013 at Loughborough University.
Most recent publications
Memon, S Advancements in Smart Windows: Triple Vacuum Insulated Glazing for Sustainable Low-Carbon Buildings. In: World Sustainable Energy Days 2019, 27 February 2019 - 1 March 2019, Wels, Austria.
Memon, S and Noman Tahir, K Experimental and Analytical Simulation Analyses on the Electrical Performance of Thermoelectric Generator Modules for Direct and Concentrated Quartz-Halogen Heat Harvesting. Energies, 11. 3315-3315. DOI https://www.doi.org/10.3390/en11123315
Memon, S and Farukh, F and Kandan, K Effect of Cavity Vacuum Pressure Diminution on Thermal Performance of Triple Vacuum Glazing. Applied Sciences, 8. 1705-1719. DOI 10.3390/app8091705
Memon, S Thermal Conductivity Measurement of Vacuum Tight Dual-Edge Seal for the Thermal Performance Analysis of Triple Vacuum Glazing. In: Impact of Thermal Conductivity on Energy Technologies. Intechopen, London, ISBN 978-1-78923-672-9
Khan, A and Memon, S and Sattar, TP Analysing integrated renewable energy and smart-grid systems to improve voltage quality and harmonic distortion losses at electric-vehicle charging stations. IEEE Access, DOI 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2830187
Memon, S Design, Development and Thermal Performance Analysis of Ultra-Low Heat Loss Triple Vacuum Glazing. In: Solar World Congress 2017 - Innovation for the 100% renewable energy transformation, 29 - 2 November 2017, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Khan, A and Memon, S and Sattar, TP Integration and management of solar energy for electric vehicle charging station. In: Solar World Congress 2017 - Innovation for the 100% renewable energy transformation, 29 October - 02 November 2017, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Memon, S and Eames, PC Predicting the Solar Energy and Space-heating Energy Performance for Solid-wall Detached House Retrofitted with the Composite Edge-sealed Triple Vacuum Glazing. Energy Procedia, 122. 565-570. DOI 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.07.419
Memon, S Predicting the Solar Energy and Space-heating Energy Performance for Solid-wall Detached House Retrofitted with the Composite Edge-sealed Triple Vacuum Glazing. In: CISBAT 2017 International Conference – Future Buildings & Districts – Energy Efficiency from Nano to Urban Scale, 6 - 8 September 2017, Lausanne, Switzerland.
Memon, S Experimental measurement of hermetic edge seal's thermal conductivity for the thermal transmittance prediction of triple vacuum glazing. Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, 10. 169-178. DOI 10.1016/j.csite.2017.06.002More publications at LSBU Research Open
- Fellow Member of Higher Education Academy, UK.
- Registered Qualified Teacher by GTCS (General Teaching Council for Scotland), UK
- Member of Chartered Management Institute, UK.
- Member of International Solar Energy Society, USA.
- Member of The IET (Institution of Engineering & Technology), UK.
- Member of Institute of Physics, UK.
- Member of IEEE (Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineer) UK & Republic of Ireland session
- Member of American Solar Energy Society (ASES), USA, 12-13.
- Member of World Renewable Energy Forum, USA, 12-13.
- Member of Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) UK, 09-10
- Member of Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC), Registered Engineer.
- Member of IBPSA (International Building Performance Simulation Association)
- Member of APCBEES (Asia-Pacific Chemical, Biological & Environmental Engineering Society).
- Invited Speaker at World Sustainable Energy Days, Young Energy Conference, in Austria, 28th Feb-2nd Mar 2018.
- Invited Speaker, ‘Retrofitting the existing domestic housing stock with the energy-efficient insulation technologies’, Workshop on Sustainable transformation of low income communities: Multidisciplinary Approach to Scalable Solutions (MASS), supported by RAEng, De Montfort University, 27th July 2017
- Invited Lecture, The Scope of Phase Change Heat Storage in the Continuum Operation of Solar Thermoelectric Generators with High Thermal Concentration, MSc students of Renewable Energy Systems Technology, Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology, Loughborough University, March 2017
- Invited Speaker, The scope of Triple Vacuum Insulated Glazing in Sustainable Buildings’ at 2-Day Workshop Energy & Environment: Fostering Inclusive Innovation in LMICs, supported by the Royal Academy of Engineering and Erasmus+ and organised by the Engineering and Innovation team in STEM, at Open University, 25-26 May 2017.
- Committee Member (Past Secretary) Institute of Physics-Vacuum Group (2013-Present)
- Reviewer, Elsevier: Solar Energy (2017-Present)
- Reviewer, Elsevier: Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells (2017-Present)
- Reviewer, Elsevier: Energy for Sustainable Development (2017-Present)
- Reviewer, Elsevier: Energy & Building (2013-2016)
- Vice Chairman/Committee Member (The IET) (NW Midlands, East Midlands, North Scotland- Aberdeen) (2010-2016)
- Judge, organised four times - The IET Present Around the World (PATW) competition. (2011-2015)
- Chair, the session’’ Energy, Waste management and the Environment’’ at East Midlands Universities, Postgraduate Research conference (2012)
- Vice Chair, (Postgraduate Association Committee), Loughborough Students Union, Loughborough University (2012-2013)
- Executive Officer, Staffordshire University Student Union (2009-2010)
- Committee Member, National Postgraduate Committee, National Union of Students (NUS) (2009-2010)