Dr Issa Chaer
Telephone:020 7815 7149
School/Division:Built Environment and Architecture / Civil and Building Services Engineering
Issa is a Chartered Engineer with a BEng (Hons) degree in Mechanical Engineering and a PhD in Heat Transfer.
He is an active research academic with interests in energy conversion and energy management including CHP and trigeneration systems, refrigeration, alternative and renewable technologies, life cycle assessment, heat transfer, and energy conversion, food processing and food manufacturing, and novel techniques to reduce energy demand and carbon emission within the engineering sector.
Teaching activities over the last 10 years:
- Heat and Mass Transfer - 2009 to date
- Thermo and Fluid Dynamics - 2007 to date
- Engineering Mathematics - 2007 to date
- Heating Ventilation and Water Services | Laboratory Academic Supervisor - 2007 to date
- Thermal Environment | Laboratory Academic Supervisor - 2007 to date
- Design Application -2009 to date
- Computer applications in the general areas of engineering - 2007 to 2009
- Refrigeration and Air conditioning | Distance Learning Tutor -2004 to 2007
- Building Heat Transfer and Air Conditioning | Distance Learning Tutor - 2002 to 2007
- Energy conversion and energy management | Distance Learning Tutor - 2002 to 2007
Issa has a research portfolio spanning over 15 years with evidence of significant contribution to the advancement of engineering knowledge at national and international levels including over 60 conference and journal articles. He also has a good record of managing research projects and securing research funds (over £1.2 million in the last 5 years, mainly industrial).
Current Research topics:
- Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment of Remanufactured and Refurbished Refrigerated Display Cabinets (EPSRC Funded Case Award).LDA and CFD Calibrations of Airflow-Measurement Instruments in Industry
- Sustainable low carbon and renewable technologies (Mechanical and Electrical)
- Reduction of refrigerant leakage and emissions
- Heat transfer enhancement in refrigeration systems
- Solar driven refrigeration
- Alternative cooling technologies
Awards and Achievements:
- The HTFS prize for the best paper presented at the 7th UK National Conference on Heat Transfer, 2001
- The Energy Institute, Innovation Award 2005, as part of "Doug Marriott associates"
- The IoR Kenneth Lightfoot Medal, for the session 2007/2008
- The Cooling Industry Gold Award for the Real Zero Project 2009. Collaborative partner with the Institute of Refrigeration winning
Most recent publications
Chaer, I and Ricchetti, A Study of Energy and Cost Savings of Demand Controlled Fresh Air Systems. In: CIBSE Technical Symposium, 12 April 2018 - 13 April 2018, London, UK.
Venturi, L and Andrews, DD and De Grussa, Z and Chaer, I The Challenge of Modelling Solar Shading Products and their Impact on the Built Environment. In: CIBSE Technical Symposium, 12 April 2018 - 13 April 2018, London South Bank University, London.
Paurine, A and Maidment, G and Chaer, I Reflective Glass Effect on Energy Consumption and Food Quality in Delicatessen Cabinets. In: CIBSE Technical Symposium, 12 April 2018 - 13 April 2018, London, UK..
Chaer, I and Pope, I and Paurine, A Smart Cities – Thermal Networks. In: Eleven International Conference on Thermal Engineering: Theory and Applications, 25 February 2018 - 28 February 2018, Doha, Qatar.
Chaer, I and Ye, Z and Lawner, H and Ross, M Viability of Airborne Wind Energy in the United Kingdom. In: 11th International Conference on Thermal Engineering: Theory and Applications, 25 February 2018 - 28 February 2018, Doha, Qatar.
Revesz, A and Chaer, I and Thompson, J and Mavroulidou, M and Gunn, M and Maidment, GG Performance Enhancement of Urban Ground Source Heat Pumps through Interactions with Underground Railway Tunnels. In: Ashrae Winter Conference, 22 - 24 January 2018, Chicago.
Muranko, Z and Andrews, D and Newton, E and Chaer, I and Proudman, P The Pro-Circular Change Model (P-CCM)– Proposing A Framework Facilitating Behavioural Change Towards a Circular Economy. Resources, Conservation and Recycling,
Muranko, Z and Andrews, D and Chaer, I and Newton, EJ and Proudman, P and Longhurst, M Pro-circular behaviours and refrigerated display cabinets: supporting resource efficiency in the retail refrigeration sector. Energy Procedia, 123. 70-75. DOI 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.07.235
Muranko, Z and Andrews, D and Chaer, I and Newton, EJ and Proudman, P and Longhurst, M Incentivising pro-circular behaviours: proposing a new enhanced capital allowance scheme for remanufactured products - the case of refrigerated display cabinets in the United Kingdom. Energy Procedia, 123. 369-374. DOI 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.07.271
Hadawey, A and Tassou, SA and Chaer, I and Sundararajan, R Unwrapped food product display shelf life assessment. Energy Procedia, 123. 62-69. DOI 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.07.233More publications at LSBU Research Open
- Fellow of the Institute of Refrigeration
- Chartered Engineer (Engineering Council)
- Member of the Institution of Building Services Engineers
- Member of the Working Party on Mitigation of Direct Emissions of Greenhouse Gases (International Institute of Refrigeration)
- Reviewer for the Innovation and the Built Environment Academy (IBEA)
- Editor of the International Journal of Sustainable Energy Development