Dr Helen Turnell
Telephone:020 7815 7122
School/Division:Engineering / Chemical and Petroleum Engineering
Dr Helen Turnell is an oil and gas subsurface consultant with UK and international management experience, whose career evolved from geophysical research and technological applications for acreage/prospect evaluation, to licence management and a series of global project management/QA roles for corporate BP.
Dr Turnell provides sound advice and assistance to any company wishing to evaluate exploration opportunities and deliver subsurface work programmes. She is a commercially astute project leader with experience in business process analysis and improvement. Equally effective contributing to strategy and to driving operational implementation, Dr Turnell's key skills include:
- Broad understanding and experience of the oil and gas exploration process – geoscience techniques, commercial framework, operations, and government and partner relations
- Comfort and effectiveness in dealing with foreign oil companies and service companies in different cultural and geographical environments
- Strong geoscience foundation and experience.
- Developing Interest in “Clean carbon”, CCS and CCU
Dr Turnell produced several publications on paleomagnetism and plate tectonics (1980s/90s). Basin development/modelling formed her early academic and BP research career. On returning to Academia Dr Turnell is involved in the remaining potential of UK Hydrocarbon exploitation.
Dr Turnell is the module leader for Petroleum Geoscience and MSc dissertations, as well as field trips leader. She provides input for the Level 7 Group project and advises on subsurface methods (geoscience) for undergraduate courses across the School.
Dr Turnell's research interests include geoscience applications relevant to reservoir modelling, e.g. static models from geoscience data using Petrel.
- Fellow of the Geological Society
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain
Dr Turnell is in communication with Petromall Ltd in support of Oil and Gas courses to train working professionals in preparation for the Development decision in Uganda.
Until recently, Dr Turnell was involved with a number of external courses, e.g. 'Introduction to oil and gas exploration' on OilVoice. And the Imperial Barrel Award, American Association of Petroleum Geologists.