Dr Claudia Civai
Telephone:020 7815 5454
School/Division:Applied Sciences / Psychology
Dr Civai gained her PhD in Neuroscience from the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA/ISAS) (Trieste, Italy) in 2011. She then spent almost three years working as a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Economics of the University of Minnesota (USA), In 2014, she was awarded a Radboud Excellence Fellowship, thanks to which she joined the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour (Netherlands) as a Research Fellow for two years. In 2016, she was appointed Lecturer in Cognitive Psychology at the University of Kent. She joined LSBU in July 2017.
Claudia investigates decision-making in socio-economic contexts; in particular, she is interested in how people perceive and react to unfairness and injustice. In her research, she integrates theories and methodologies from cognitive psychology, neuroscience, personality psychology and behavioural economics.
- Exploring Psychological Approaches
- Psychological Research Methods 1
- Psychological Research Methods 4
- Psychology of Learning and Memory
- Psychology of Thinking and Communication
- Perception, Attention and Memory
- Thinking, Intelligence, and Communication
Dr Civai is interested in understanding what motivates human behaviour in social contexts; her research focuses on how people integrate emotions, self-interest and social norms in order to make socio-economic decisions, in particular when fairness and justice norms are violated. She uses a combination of cognitive psychology, behavioural economics and neuroscience methodologies in order to obtain a more detailed understanding of the phenomena under investigation.
Findings from this field of research caught the interests of social policy developers and charity fundraising.
(On and off) membership:
- Association for Psychological Science
- European Society for Cognitive Psychology
- Social and Affective Neuroscience Society
- Society for Neuroeconomics
- Society for Judgment and Decision-Making
- Editorial advisory board for Journal of Cognitive Enhancement (2017-present).
- Associate Editor for In–Mind Italia, a peer–reviewed on–line journal of social psychology for non–specialised audience.
- Ad hoc reviewer for NeuroImage, Journal of Research In Personality, PLoS One, Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, Cortex, Cerebral Cortex, Behavioral and Brain Research, Cognition, Neuroscience and Behavioral Reviews.