Dr Amare Desta
Telephone:020 7815 7481
School/Division:Business / Business and Enterprise
Amare is a Course Director for BA (Hons) Business Information Systems and act as a Senior Lecturer in Information Systems, a full-time post he has held since he joined the institute in 2001. He teaches a range of subjects related to Information Systems Management and IT Strategy.
He taught various IT/IS subjects at the: Goldsmiths College of University of London, University of East London (UEL), Open University, (OU), Thames Valley University, (TVU) and at Maritime Greenwich College. He has also taught advanced IT for Social Scientists and Information Management units for postgraduate students at the London School of Economics, (LSE).
Prior to embarking on an academic career, he worked as a Research Associate for Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine here in London. He acted as a Research Associate for the University of Cambridge and also worked as Assistant Scientific Officer, (ASO) for National Institute of Agricultural Botany, (NIAB), in Cambridge.
- Membership of Professional Bodies and Learned Societies
- Member of the UK Academy for Information Systems (UKAIS)
- Committee member for International Business Information Management Association (IBIMA)
- Member of the British Educational Research Association (BERA)
- Associate Editor of African Journal of Science, Technology, Innovation and Development (AJSTID)
- Chair / Coordinator of Global Knowledge Exchange Network (G-KEN) for Ethiopians / friends of Ethiopia
- Associate Editorial Board Member of Network Ethiopian Scholars (NES-Global)
- Co-editor to the Ethiopian e-Journal for Research and Innovation Foresight (Ee-JRIF)
Recently he acted as a Chair of a Scientific Committee for two International Knowledge Exchange conferences held here at LSBU. As a Guest Editor, he was also involved in publishing a Special Issue on Knowledge Exchange (Vol 3, No 2 (2011).
Amare teaches Global Information Systems for Strategic Advantage (MSc) and Research Methods to both (MSc & BSc/BA) students.
He also teaches:
- Management Strategies for IT (MSIT)
- Managing IT Services (MITS)
- Social Impacts of the Information Society
- Advanced IT for Social Scientists
- Organisations, Systems & People
- Accounting Systems and Information Management units
Amare's research interests are: ICT and Socio-Economic Development; Globalisation; ICT and Education; Indigenous Knowledge and communications.
In the last few years alone, Amare supervised more than 25 research based post-graduate projects and more than 45 undergraduate dissertations.
Amare is also a School Governor at our Lady Of the Rosary Catholic School in Sidcup, Kent