Hourly Paid Lecturer
School/Division:Built Environment and Architecture / Architecture
Brian Murphy spent the first ten years of practice in small firms, working on a wide range of new and existing buildings, getting a thorough grounding in building technology and studying day release ONC and HNC Construction. He went on to work with talented architects whilst studying day-release architecture (part-time). The solid background gave him the freedom to 'fly kites' with his designs, unrestricted by lack of construction know-how.
Brian was recognised as a top student in his year, commended at BSc and awarded a Distinction with Honours at Diploma level. His technical background has lead him back to the 'nuts and bolts' of the building design process. It informs his specification writing, where he feels he can make the best contribution to a project’s final outcome, with sensitivity to the aspirations of the designer and the ability to contribute to the design process.
Brian is passing his general and specialist knowledge in this and related fields back to the industry via CPD (Continuing Professional Development) conferences, practices’ staff development seminars, workshops, software training and individual tutoring on project design, building construction, materials and professional practice.
In April 1999 he made a public declaration of intent to work with designers adopting sustainable approaches to building in the future, and to influence others in this area. Most of his existing clients are welcoming the opportunity to become more sustainable, and he is being approached by Green Architects as new clients. Since April 2001 he has set out to create the National Green Specification, describing all products with the right environmental credentials and performance characteristics available in or from the UK.
- Brian has established a specification consultancy over the past 20 years, been self-employed 22 years and has 30 years of experience in the industry.
- Successful commissions have included new build, alteration, extension, conservation quality refurbishment; public, private and speculative projects, procured by general contracting, construction management, management contracting, design and build, DMC, GMP and BOOT.
- Project values carried out range from £50,000. to £511m.
- Package values range from £10,000 to £12m.
- Client list includes architects, interior designers, furniture designers, landscape architects, facilities managers and manufacturers.
Brian's teaching experience includes:
- 25 years of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) experience
- 15 years of higher education lecturing experience
- 15 years of seminars with The Green Register (TGR), on the Sustainable Building and Services (SBS) course and topical seminars
- 5 years of software training and coaching
He has developed over 1,000 CPD seminars and lectures about:
- Specification, practice, liability
- Environmental issues, construction and materials
- Waste and resourcefulness
- Violet (not Green) competent construction and materials
- Professional practice issues
He regularly delivers CPD topics to many diverse audiences, including regional and local branches of RIBA, RICS, RTPI, CIOB, FoE, and Civic Trust regions.
Brian has completed an Interreg IVB funded R&D project on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). CAPEM team partners in NW Europe are currently reconsidering developing LCA tools. He has investigated Interreg, Life+ and Horizon 2020 possibilities, most of which encourage the participation of universities.
Brian would like to develop the building design and decision tools created for the LSBU Hourly Paid Lecturer series with more comprehensive content, but keep them as simple-to-use tools which students can take from university into their professional jobs.
- The Green Register (TGR) of Construction Professionals: Full member, SBS Trainer, Steering Group, EofE Regional Coordinator, Events Organiser since 2001
- Association for Environment Conscious Building (AECB): Full member, Ex Steering Group, Visits and events organiser since 1999
- Specification Consultancy, ASWS Architectural Specification Writing Services, 30 years
- Founded National Green Specification (2001) and GreenSpec website (2003)
- Founded Green Building Encyclopaedia (GBE) website (2012)
- Steering groups: East of England Sustainable Construction Strategy
- The Green Register of Construction Professionals, Association of Environment Conscious Building