Facts and Figures
Responding to the challenge of a rapidly changing higher education landscape
You can read about our past year's successes in the reviews below or discover what our vice-chancellor has to say about higher education in the compilation of his blogs and articles.
You can also view our financial statements and executive expenses reports.
Our Corporate Strategy 2015-2020 (PDF File 749 KB) sets out how the University will achieve its vision of becoming London's top modern university by 2020.
Download our Annual Review (PDF File 1,530 KB).
In 2017, we were named University of the Year for Graduate Employment by the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide; a testament to the achievements of our graduates.
In 2017, our Vice-Chancellor Professor David Phoenix wrote a number of blogs and articles covering issues in higher education.
Download the Research, Enterprise and Innovation team's Annual Review (PDF File 3,383 KB).
This Annual Review charts the successes of the Research, Enterprise and Innovation Department, as it prioritises investment into eight key research themes.
This year we have hosted dozens of visits from representatives of government, business and educational and skills organisations wanting to know more about what we are doing.
As we talk to them it is clear that much of our work is innovative and highly regarded.Professor David Phoenix, Vice-Chancellor.
We consider financial sustainability absolutely fundamental to delivering our mission of supporting students to achieve professional success.
As well as the efficiency programme, which has saved £6m, we have also developed plans to deliver a prudent sustainable annual operating surplus, which has enabled us to manage uncertainty as we invest for the future and continue to strengthen the quality of support given to students.
Developing facilities and infrastructure
The University is constantly looking to develop and extend the benefits of its location and the features of its varied landscape. This leads us to create innovative new buildings, redevelop Grade II-listed properties and carry out a programme of changes and improvements that constantly further enhance our student offer.
In full compliance with HEFCE requirements, below are copies of the University's annual financial statements, dating back to the 2009/10 academic period. The document is a review of our financial year and includes balance sheets, consolidated income and expenditure account and an independent auditor's report.
- Download report and accounts for the year end 31 July 2017 (PDF File 1,971 KB)
- Download report and accounts for the year end 31 July 2016 (PDF File 919 KB)
- Download report and accounts for the year end 31 July 2015 (PDF File 13,806 KB)
- Download report and accounts for the year end 31 July 2014 (PDF File 9,031 KB)
- Download report and accounts for the year end 31 July 2013 (PDF File 7,012 KB)
- Download report and accounts for the year end 31 July 2012 (PDF File 7,715 KB)
- Download report and accounts for the year end 31 July 2011 (PDF File 20,726 KB)
- Download report and accounts for the year end 31 July 2010 (PDF File 4,200 KB)
The University reimburses the travel and subsistence expenses incurred by the vice-chancellor on LSBU business.
Our financial regulations (PDF File 618 KB) set out the guidelines for expenses claims.
The vice-chancellor's expense reports are published periodically.
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses summary 2015-2017 (PDF File 89 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses summary 2011 to 2014 (PDF File 21 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q4 2013 (PDF File 191 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q3 2013 (PDF File 188 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q1 2013 (PDF File 189 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q4 2012 (PDF File 244 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q3 2012 (PDF File 25 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q1 & Q2 2012 (PDF File 27 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q4 2011 (PDF File 23 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q3 2011 (PDF File 25 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q1 & Q2 2011 (PDF File 21 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q3 2010 (PDF File 45 KB)
- Download vice-chancellor's expenses Q1 & Q2 2010 (PDF File 52 KB)
Trade Union facility time reporting
The Trade Union (Facility Time Publication Requirements) Regulations 2017 came into force on the 1 April 2017. These regulations place a legislative requirement on relevant public sector employers to collate and publish, on an annual basis, a range of data on the amount and cost of trade union facility time within their organisation.
12 November 2018The Borough at War: LSBU and Southwark, 1914-1918
14 November 2018Arts and Creative Industries Experience Day
14 November 2018Autistic Entrepreneurs: Research and Practice Today
14 November 2018Trans-inclusion in H.E.
14 November 2018Showcasing AHP advanced practice and innovation across London
14 November 2018Nursing Open Event - Havering Campus
14 November 2018CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
14 November 2018E-Cigarettes: An evidence update
15 November 2018'ResearchToday!' Changing the Rules: A two round election study
15 November 2018Drama and Performance Taster Evening with live performance of Titus Andronicus
LSBU professor awarded for major engineering management accomplishments
6 November 2018
Lord David Blunkett former home secretary awarded honorary doctorate
1 November 2018
Calling all Engineers: LSBU’s Thomas Empson urges creative contributions to sustainable development
1 November 2018
David Longbottom, former LSBU Pro-Chancellor, awarded honorary doctorate
1 November 2018
LSBU chocolatier Barry Johnson to represent UK in world's biggest chocolate contest
24 October 2018
Hollywood actor David Oyelowo awarded honorary doctorate by London South Bank University
15 October 2018
LSBU’s Clarence Centre celebrates five years supporting university and industry collaboration
27 September 2018
LSBU wins ‘University of the Year for Graduate Employment’ for an unprecedented second year running
24 September 2018
London South Bank University wins national awards for teaching excellence
17 September 2018