Information for teachers and careers advisors
We're committed to providing an outstanding selection of outreach activities to stimulate interest in university study
As a university, we are committed to providing an outstanding selection of outreach activities to stimulate interest in the benefits of university study. Our outreach activities focus on our priority catchment areas in the London boroughs of Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark. There are also the young people and mature learners in key feeder FE and Sixth Form Colleges in the London boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Bexley, Croydon, Greenwich, Havering, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest and Wandsworth.
We have identified 18 schools in our local area that match our desire for providing a quality student experience. They all demonstrate exceptional added value for their students. We've made a long-term commitment to support their efforts to maximise their students' aspiration and achievement.
We are happy to consider requests for outreach activities from educational institutions outside of our catchment boroughs.
- Primary School
- Our local Children's University Trust offers primary school children in Lambeth exciting and innovative learning activities and experiences outside school. To celebrate their achievements, participants graduate at a ceremony on the LSBU campus presided over by Beverley Jullien, Pro-Vice-Chancellor.
- Yr 7 Assembly
- Student Ambassadors perform a short play they wrote themselves to illustrate how important it is to start thinking about university while still at school. This leads onto short presentations of the student's own school experience and how it helped them decide on what to study at university.
- Yr 8/9 Introduction to University
- Groups of 25 pupils visit the campus for a day and take part in various Student Ambassador led activities which illustrate what university is like and the opportunities it provides.
- Yr 10: Mentoring
- Individual pupils are invited to see their Student Ambassador mentor once a week for 10 weeks. The Mentors are there to help improve individual school performance, with a focus on paving the way for progression to higher education.
- Yr 10: Summer School
- This week-long non-residential event invites up to 150 pupils from schools across London to take part in some specially devised academic and recreational activities on campus. It's a fun mix of learning and recreational pursuits to energise them about the opportunities they'll find at university.
- Yr 11: Revision sessions
- Our Student Ambassadors help out at revision classes organised in local schools to join up their learning with the school curriculum.
- Yr 12: Taster days
- Participants come on campus to sit in a lecture for a subject they are interested in. They also meet current students who give them an insiders' view of studying the subject at LSBU.
- Yr 12: Summer Schools
- This three-day non-residential event helps young people see the links between university subjects and how they are implemented in the workplace. Current areas of specialisation look at law and the justice system as well as marketing and the working of brands.
- Yr 12: Learning to Learn
- This series of workshops covers the necessary skills students should develop to receive the maximum benefit from higher education. When studying at LSBU there are also a number of student support services they can benefit from.
- Yr 12/13 Applying to University
- Now that university is getting closer we run workshops on how to complete the UCAS form, personal statements, the workings of student finance and student finance form filling.
- Solar Car Challenge: groups of five pupils from years 7 and 8 take part in a competition over six weeks to build the solar car that travels the furthest and fastest. Groups are often drawn from school STEM clubs, but it is up to the school how they organise their entry.
- Engineering Pick 'n' Mix
- Young people participate to create a prototype of a practical invention and then pitch their idea to a business panel.
- The Wonderful World of Engineering
- This day introduces participants to the variety of opportunities available through engineering. They're also shown some remarkable innovations and products engineers have created.
- Food Technology Taster Day
- This exciting day of first-hand experiences allows participants to experiment in the university's professional-standard food technology laboratories to develop their own brand of canned food.
- Salter's Chemistry Festival
- This innovative competition invites teams from different schools to pit their wits in interactive chemistry investigations in a competition designed to demonstrate the most superior laboratory skills.
- Care Leavers
- Our project, City Opportunities, was set up to help transform the futures of young adults who have spent their childhood in care. It is run in collaboration with the City of London Economic Development Office and promotes graduate opportunities in the City of London. It recently won the Widening Participation Initiative of the Year at the Times Higher Education Awards. Read more about Care Leavers at LSBU.
20 June 2018Product of South Bank
21 June 2018Applied Science Experience Day
21 June 2018Product Design Taster Day
22 June 2018The Working-Class Avant-Garde
22 June 2018BA Photography End of Year Show
22 June 2018Engineering Product Design Taster Day
22 June 2018Mechanical Engineering Taster Day
23 June 2018BA Photography End of Year Show
23 June 2018University Open Day
24 June 2018BA Photography End of Year Show
Ex-smokers might be better off with high rather than low nicotine e-cigs
18 June 2018
LSBU students provide solutions for the local business community
14 June 2018
Ground-breaking report shows gangs are more money than territory-orientated
5 June 2018
Another solid rise for LSBU in league tables
1 June 2018
LSBU wins Partnership of the Year with St Mungo’s at the Student Nursing Times Award 2018
21 May 2018
How black nurses were vital to our health service even before Windrush, a talk by Stephen Bourne
17 May 2018
Remodelling crowd medical services in the English football league, a study by LSBU and Millwall Football Club
4 May 2018
Product Design students deliver creative Airlander concepts
3 May 2018
London South Bank University enters top 100 League in Complete Universities Guide
25 April 2018